We always insist on the importance of reading to be better investors. However, given the amount of interesting books out there and the shortage of time, selecting the readings can become a complicated task. To help you with this, in this episode of Value Investing FM Adrián and Paco we will analyze 20 books that will help you to be a wiser and a better investor.
Tabla de contenido
- 1 Listen to the program: 20 books to be wiser and better investors
- 2 Books covered in the program
- 2.1 One step ahead of Wall Street
- 2.2 Procrustean bed
- 2.3 The little book that generates wealth
- 2.4 Guns, germs and steel
- 2.5 The entrepreneur's black book
- 2.6 Manual of life
- 2.7 In a hundred years all dead
- 2.8 Seeking Wisdom
- 2.9 Meditations
- 2.10 Crime and Punishment
- 2.11 Skin in the game
- 2.12 El príncipe
- 2.13 El arte de la guerra
- 2.14 The enemies of commerce
- 2.15 Influence
- 2.16 Lessons of history
- 2.17 My first encyclopedia
- 2.18 Aim for the stars and you will reach the moon
- 2.19 Get the yes
- 2.20 The Portrait of Dorian Gray
Listen to the program: 20 books to be wiser and better investors
As always, we would really appreciate it if you would give us 5 stars on iTunes and your like on iVoox and YouTube, as you will help us keep this podcast going and growing.
Books covered in the program
One step ahead of Wall Street
- Author: Peter Lynch
- Año: 1990
- Summary: Value investing for all audiences
- Opinion: The best book on stock investment in history.
- Quote: "The stock market is not like golf, in the stock market amateur investors can beat professionals"
- Buy from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2yf8I5z
- Autor: Nassim Taleb
- Año: 2010
- Summary: Taleb Quotes
- Opinion: Taleb Unleashed
- Quote: "The first one who uses 'but' has lost the discussion"
- Buy from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2ORHeMX
The little book that generates wealth
- Author: Pat Dorsey
- Año: 2012
- Summary: A book that teaches you to differentiate great businesses from those that are not.
- Opinion: Of the books that have helped me the most in investing. Systematize a complex analysis. Packed with examples.
- Phrase: "Looking at the numbers is the beginning, but only the beginning"
- Buy from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2CGmp10
Guns, germs and steel
- Autores: Jared Diamond
- Año: 1997
- Summary: It tells the origin of the differences in the world, looking for why Europe was the zone of development and world wealth.
- Opinion: Change the way you see many things
- Phrase: “Why did you whites develop so much cargo and bring it to New Guinea, but we blacks had so little cargo of our own? "
- Buy from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2ykh4bZ
The entrepreneur's black book
- Published by: Fernando Trias de Bes
- Año: 2007
- Summary: Explains the main reasons why companies fail
- Opinion: Invert, always invert (Jacobi). For a business to be successful, it must be prevented from failing.
- Phrase: “Don't focus on what you are going to sell, but rather why customers will buy from you. "
- Never put all your hopes on the idea. The important thing is not the idea, but the form of the idea. "
- Buy from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2yADi96
Manual of life
- Authors: Epicteto
- Año: 135 DC
- Summary: Pure Stoicism
- Opinion: I don't know how you can live without reading it
- Phrase: Calmly accept events as they occur
- Buy from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2IZp0ni
In a hundred years all dead
- Author: Joan Boluda
- Año: 2018
- Summary: Book that addresses everything necessary to undertake, from a technical, professional or personal point of view.
- Opinion: Joan is one of the best professionals out there. It is not a smoke seller like those that abound, but it really helps to get your business going.
- Quote: If you are reading this, it means that in a hundred years you will be dead. Life is terrifyingly short and one day you will think: What the hell have I done with my life? Why haven't I done what I wanted? Why have I abandoned my dreams? ». Now you still have time to change, to act and to do what you want. Do not wait more!
- Buy from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2ygPg8B
- Author: Peter Bevelin
- Año: 2003
- Resumen: biología, evolución, física, estadistica, inversión… obra total
- Opinion: a fantastic multidisciplinary compendium garnished with many phrases by Buffett and Munger
- Quote: “A man who has committed a mistake and doesn’t correct it, is committing another mistake.”
- Buy from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2Os1RQt
- Author: Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor
- Año: 170-180
- Summary: Reflections of Marco Aurelio on life from a stoic point of view. Written during the military campaign. Topics: Life, death, the universe, morality, rationality, virtue, duty ...
- Opinion: One of the masterpieces of Stoicism. Set an example. Timeless reflections. Effective today.
- Phrases: "A man should not be afraid of death, he should be afraid of never beginning to live."
- “The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts; therefore act accordingly, and be careful not to entertain yourself in notions inappropriate for virtue and reasonable nature. "
- Buy from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2QMgdHR
Crime and Punishment
- Published by: Fyodor Dostoevsky
- Año: 1866
- Summary: novel about a boy in St. Petersburg at the time who owes money to a usurer, thinks about robbing and killing her (no spoiler at all), very psychological
- Opinion: a masterpiece of world literature
- Quote: I hold the view that jail reassures the guilty.
- Buy from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2OpMdVB
Skin in the game
- Autor: Nassim Taleb
- Año: 2018
- Summary: Treats the importance of incentives in life, economics, politics, religion.
- Opinion: It leaves no one without being offended. 100% applicable to investment.
- Quote: Never trust anyone who doesn’t have skin in the game. Without it, fools and crooks will benefit, and their mistakes will never come back to haunt them
- Buy from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2Ce7g6k
- Authors: nicolás maquiavelo
- Año: 1532
- Summary: political councils dedicated to princes (specifically the Medici) to stay in power and how to rule
- Opinion: of the best politics books can be written, many lessons still survive and it is a pity that it has been very misinterpreted
- Phrase: Good actions are not always timely and effective
- Buy from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2A9mAzo
El arte de la guerra
- Author: Sun Tzu
- Year: End of the XNUMXth century BC
- Summary: Ancient treatise on military strategy. It has very "military" parts, but most of the book is applicable to other areas.
- Opinion: Timeless Reflections. Applicable to business. Appears in the movie Wall Street.
- Phrases: "The victorious warriors first win the war and then go to war, while the defeated first go to war and then seek to win it "
- "Only when you know every detail of the ground condition can you maneuver and fight"
- Buy from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2OnkTav
The enemies of commerce
- Authors: Antonio Escohotado
- Año: 2008
- Summary: divided into 3 volumes, a history from Greece on private property, commerce ... and all the history around (which leaders were there at all times, the importance of religion ...)
- Opinion - Brilliant and a must for anyone interested in economic history or history in general
- Quote: Moderation is elegance. Elegance is moderation, and this word comes from choosing.
- Buy from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2Oqr4uc
- Author: Robert Cialdini
- Año: 2007
- Summary: The 6 factors of persuasion, that is, what leads them to make decisions.
- Opinion: Essential to understand how we work. Examples: Scarcity (FOMO), Authority (blind copy), Social sanction (bubbles) ...
- Buy from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2QLdPRS
Lessons of history
- Authors: Will Durant and Ariel Durant
- Año: 1968
- Summary: they distil in 100 pages a great variety of topics and what history has taught us about them
- Opinion: one of Dalio's favorites and with reason
- Quote: "Only an idiot would try to compress hundreds of centuries into a hundred pages of dangerous conclusions."
- Buy from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2OmNCfq
My first encyclopedia
- Author: Jane Elliott and Colin King
- Año: 1988
- Summary: Illustrated Encyclopedia. Wikipedia for children when the internet did not exist. History, biology, physics, chemistry, geology, politics. With countries with Czechoslovakia, the GDR or Yugoslavia.
- Opinion: It helped me to be interested in everything and "non-fiction"
- Buy from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2IUCn8f
Aim for the stars and you will reach the moon
- Authors: Leopoldo Fernández Pujals
- Año: 2014
- Summary: The life of Leopoldo and his business lessons
- Opinión: Must read
- Quote: Two of the great obstacles that stop human beings from fulfilling their vision: "mieditis" and "excusitis"
- Buy from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2OqBrhE
Get the yes
- Authors: William Ury, Roger Fisher y Bruce Patton
- Año: 1997
- Summary: Harvard method of negotiation or negotiation based on principles. Difference between positions and interests, separate people from the problem ...
- Opinion: The Smart Trading Investor
- Phrase: "The ability to see the situation as the other party does, although it is something very complicated, is one of the most important skills that a negotiator can have"
- Buy from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2PvikzL
The Portrait of Dorian Gray
- Authors: Oscar Wilde
- Año: 1891
- Summary: novel where a very nice painter makes a portrait of Dorian Gray a young nobleman, but the painting changes many things in Dorian ...
- Opinion: one of my favorite novels for an incredible aesthetic, full of adjectives and literary resources and an amazing background because under a layer of unbridled hedonism and many homosexual references a deep criticism of Victorian society is hidden.
- Quote: I choose my friends for their attractiveness, my acquaintances for their reputation, and my enemies for their intelligence. "
- Buy from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2OnbDTV